The Cleveland Public Library’s Special Collections department has a collection of papers related to Euclid Beach Park and the Humphrey family. The amusement park first opened in 1894, but initially failed. The Humphrey family, who had a popcorn stand in the park, took over the management in 1901. The park became very popular, but eventually closed in 1969 due to decreased attendance and the increased cost of its operation. The only structure of the park that remains at the site today is the entrance arch on Lake Shore Boulevard.
The collection contains documents from the years 1905 to 1969, including correspondence, insurance surveys, invoices, legal documents, and a sampling of injury reports.
A finding aid for the collection can be found here: http://ead.ohiolink.edu/xtf-ead/view?docId=ead/OCl0082.xml
The Library’s Photograph Collection also has a number of images related to the park:
Euclid Beach Park Entrance, taken in 1972 (http://cdm16014.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p4014coll18/id/2404/rec/1)
Euclid Beach Park, taken by Nelson Grover in 1926 (http://cdm16014.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p4014coll18/id/6690/rec/2)
For more information, contact Special Collections at 216-623-2818 or Special.Collections@cplorg.bigscoots-staging.com